Sunday, November 2, 2008

...and that's how my eyes ended up glued shut.

So the weekend continued after the AWESOME LOSS to BYU, and my family stayed til Sunday afternoon (if any church readers are wondering why we skipped out, we didn't - we just went to the Harmony building since they have Sacrament meeting at 9:00 like regular people). But I digress.

After the game we all came back to our apartment and ordered some pizza to sustain us through many, many rounds of Wackee Six, the most ridiculously great card game. I won't explain it here (but you can buy it here: wackeesix.com), but it is intense. Also, we had a few rounds of Blokus, a sort-of board game that Elsha and Brian played with Kari and Jonathan, so we really needed sustenance for all this game-playing. The first to leave were Eric and Amy to take Espen to sleep in a real bed (not his car seat carrier) for the night, then my parents trickled out an hour later, and then it was down to me, Joe, Kari, and Jonathan.... and we played game until 1:30 in the morning. Why? I don't know. I mean, at the time it all made sense, but in the morning (and especially as the day wears on into afternoon) you really start thinking "why did we do that??" But we still had company in town! Places to go, things to see, caramel rolls at Farmer's Table to eat! We just kept on going and going (the caramel rolls really were worth it) but poor Patrick had skipped his morning nap, so our late breakfast was one big grumpy struggle. This was not helped at all by my lack of preparation - I wasn't really counting on a wait (am I retarded? At 11:00 on a Sunday at a breakfast place? of COURSE there's a wait!) so I hadn't packed any tide-him-over-til-the-food-arrives food, and he wasn't really a fan of ketchup on a spoon. Imagine that. Once the eggs and toast came out, though, we were golden.

M&D, E&A&E hit the road after Farmer's Table to they said their goodbye's to our grumpy guy, but the remaining 4 of us got to go back to our apartment and put him down for a nap. Once Patrick went down for a nap I, too, went down for a nap. With my contacts in. A long nap. And that's how my eyes ended up glued shut. I'm looking forward to not staying up tonight and not starting the week out without a raging case of dry-eye compounded with stupid-looking-squinchy-blinks >-( *bliiiiiiink* {:-( awwwww, still dry. Oh well! Thanks for coming, family! We'll do it all over again at Thanksgiving (when we stay up too late watching Twilight!)

2 comments:

Elsha said...

Playing Blokus is addicting, like tetris attack. Which means we'll definitely have to play over Thanksgiving right?

Kirsta 'n co. said...

No doubt! Mom bought the game just so we could bring it for the holidays! I'm thinking with all of our planned activities, this Turkey day is going to take about 2 weeks. Hope that's ok by you!

Like tetris, I found myself "blokusing" after only one night of playing it. That's saaaaad.