Thursday, September 4, 2008

List-less

Although I've only been blogging for a month, give or take a month, I have started a list in my head of possible blogs. You know, something to write when theres nothing else exciting to write about. Then one of the blogs that I've been thinking about is Quirks, sort of a list of funny things about myself. Then I realized that on my list of quirks is that I like making lists. Hmmmm.... is it me, or is there starting to be an heirarchy if lists here? So today I'm stopping the madness and writing down my quirks, list-loving and all.

I am OCD about:

Making lists. On my daily "To Do" list I even list no-duh things, like "wake up" and "get dressed" and "eat." I also have multiple lists, like "Songs I'd like to download," "Movies I want to rent," "Possible Christmas presents for family" (this list starts the day after Christmas), and my own personal "Bucket List" (Joe and I made our own lists BEFORE the movie, thank you very much). To see this Bucket List, simply check my blog in a few days, I'm sure I will have posted it by then, it's one of my thought-blogs.

Tweezing my eyebrows. Probably do it twice a day, every day.

Reading (can you actually be OCD about this?) I like to have at least 2 books going at one time.

De-junking. I do this probably once a month, which is about 11 more times per year than I would estimate the average person does it. I clean out everything from the pen cup (yep, I test each and every pen) to the closet and under the bed. You'd think we would have an empty house with NO junk because of this, but that's not true - I have an emotional attachment to my personal junk just like everyone else, but I know that EVENTUALLY I will no longer feel attached to it, so the junk stays until I can free myself without a single pang of guilt or remorse. This is why I do it so often - just checking the remorse reflex to see if it's still there and if I can finally get rid of that old shirt that doesn't fit but is SO cute.

Shopping clearance racks. Doesn't matter if I don't need it, don't have money with me, or am not even shopping in a place MEANT for me (like the men's clothing section) - I am drawn to clearance racks like pen to paper, butter-side toast to the floor, stink on garbage. I just can't help myself.

To my knowledge, I am normal other than this :) Except, maybe, blogging in my head.

5 comments:

Elsha said...

I am SO with you on the list making! We get it from mom I think. On my to-do list, along with writing the no-duh stuff (which I do) I'll write stuff RIGHT before I do it, just so I can cross it off. And I have the randomest lists in my head like-- movies I want on DVD but don't know if they'll ever actually be on DVD (mostly stuff we had taped off TV when we were kids.) You might think this would be useless, but I've aquired a few from that list-- the Many Adventures of Whinnie the Pooh and recently, a collection of Dr. Seuss movies including Pontoffel Pock. Another one is books I want to buy for Kalena including such randomness as Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, The Little House, and the Frog and Toad books. I'd go buy them all but I'm afraid it would cost me thousands of dollars.

Also, in true mom style, I have a "house" list. You know, the-- we should get new carpet- ok, I'll put it on the list-- list.

I'm not at all with you on the eyebrow tweezing, I never do that.

I WISH I were with you about the de-junking! I am trying to get better.

Also right there on the reading and clearance racks. Family thing again?

And lastly, the blogs I need to write. I stopped just keeping a list cause sometimes I would forget what all I wanted to say, so now anytime I think of one I start a draft and then come back and finish it later. I have 4 drafts going right now...

I would totally write a blog about this, except I feel like I keep stealing blogs from you. Ok, so I only did it the once, but I had been thinking about doing a blog like your one on cameras before you did that. And now apparently I've taken over your comments section. I'm gonna go.




P.S. I would love to see some of your lists!

Elsha said...

I forgot to mention my totally over-the-top-obsessive list of DVDs we own. They're sorted by title, location (in binders), rating, run-time, category, subcategory, and famous actors/actresses in them. It's a whole spreadsheet.

Maybe we need to go to list-makers anonymous.

Eric and Amy said...

Elsha - dig this - for Christmas a couple years ago I got Amy (and whatever kids we would have in the future) a bunch of books I remember loving when I was little. The Little House, Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel, Make Way For Ducklings, The Story of Ping, McElligot's Pool... the list goes on! And yeah it wasn't cheap to get them all but it was AWESOME!

I keep my DVDs alphabetized, that's the extent of their categorization. I had someone tell me once I was OCD about my shirts because when I hang then up I sort them by color: all the blue shirts are in one group, the reds in another, the whites in one, and so on. I look at it as "Hey, I want to wear a black shirt today, here are all my selections and I don't even have to dig through my closet looking for more!"

Kari and Jonathan said...

I am SO MUCH more with you than Elsha on the lists. :) It's ridiculous. Thanks mom. Seriously, I'll write "put on deoderant," "go to work." DUH. We Gustavson girls are c-razy. And for sure every time Jonathan says, "we need to do this to the house.." "It's on the LIST!"

Psycho Dad said...

Your comment about "list making" being on your "quirk list" reminded me of the two types of people in the world, those who make lists and those who don't. The Gustavson women are afflicted with the former, to be sure.

A wise man once observed that there are two other types of people... those who divide people into two types and those who don't.

I make lists all the time but they only have one entry, "Make no lists today." So do I check that off or not?

Your eye for the idiosyncratic always delights me.