Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cookin' up trouble

As you might have figured out in my blog about shark steaks, I like a little culinary adventure now and then. Sunday night the adventure was REAL hot chocolate. Not hot cocoa (any kind of powdered chocolate, even if it's with milk); this was delicious melted chocolate. Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 ounces (an entire bar!!!) semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat the milk 'til very hot but not boiling, add the chocolate pieces and stir 'til completely melted. Add the vanilla extract and cornstarch, stirring constantly til its almost the consistancy of pudding (that's when you know this is gonna be good). Serve immediately, making sure to find a couch or other soft surface for when you pass out from chocolate overdose.

I served this to Joe during the last tender minutes of Titanic - the movie he was watching when I woke up from a nap. That was probably the weirdest thing I've ever seen him do, but he declared it was a good Sunday movie since it's so long (despite the nudity scene, I guess...). I about died, the hot chocolate was so good (fortunately, had that couch handy so I didn't) but Joe said he prefers Swiss Miss. Guess that means I get ALL the hot chocolate next time, eh?

2 comments:

Elsha said...

Let's make some of this at Thanksgiving and Joe (and his Swiss Miss) can watch the babies while we sleep off the chocolate overdose.

Eric and Amy said...

The end of the movie being the part where she says, "I'll never let go!" and then lets go?