Friday, September 26, 2008

8 months and Farming

Patrick turned 8 months yesterday - whoo-hoo! 2/3 of the way to one year. The Lunch Bunch group from church meets on Thursdays and since yesterday was Thursday we met at the farm at Lee Martinez Park. Patrick's first time to a farm...and mine, too! (This would be an embarassment to my grandma Smiley, who grew up on a farm. Seriously, who hasn't been to a farm before?!? [I don't count Moon Farm in Grand Junction because I don't remember visiting any animals while I was there, just playing in playhouses and chasing peacocks]).



At the farm there are lots of animals to look at and you can even feed the sheep, goats, and pigs! I fed the goats, though I was admittedly terrified at first. They were REALLY excited about getting fed (I mean really excited), and I could only imagine they would be equally excited to eat my hand. Fortunately they crave oats instead of fresh human blood so all the injury I sustained was a slobbery palm. We also saw a chicken lay an egg and learned that the average milk cow produced 6 1/2 gallons of milk a day. This sheds a whole new light on my grandma, whose chore it was to milk the cows. That is a LOT of milking. So although I have still never been to a State Fair (thanks, Kari), I have now been to a farm.


Checking out the horses. That would be a horse in the left corner; he was camera-shy.
Baaaaaaaaaaa.
These guys are SO cute, now I think I want a pet pig, and possibly a spider named Charlotte.
Me, the voyeur, watching the chicken lay an egg.
More chickens. They are an extremely talkative animal.

4 comments:

The Miz said...

Fun stuff! Kirsta you should really be careful with those little guys, they'll take your fingers right off.

Elsha said...

I've never technically been to a farm, but I think Brian's parent's house should count. They have horses, pigs, two dogs, two cats, and a chicken coop. And I HAVE eaten fresh eggs from their chickens.

Eric and Amy said...

My brother raised rabbits and rats growing up, plus we had ducks and hamsters, as well as fish and crawdads. All that PLUS 5 kids. It was like a farm. Or maybe a zoo.

Erin said...

Cute! I'm sad I missed this one. I feel ya on the goats--I am so not a fan of feeding them. Goat slopper completely grosses me out. Blech.