Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wanna play Doctor?

I had my first pregnancy appointment today (already been to a few doctors for other things, but not specifically about my "delicate condition") and it was WONDERFUL! Out of 3 doctors' appointments last week I had 3 bad experiences, so I was going to be REALLY ticked off if this one went poorly, too - fortunately for everyone involved, it went swimmingly. I'm seeing Dr. Hoffman of the Keift, Cloyd, Hoffman and Hayes practice - I got to see pretty much everyone from their practice last time because of complications, but Dr. Hoffman was the one to actually do my C-section and even then he was very vocally supportive of me trying for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarian) the next time around... plus, I thought he was the friendliest of the bunch!

I don't think it's too much to ask that a doctor read your chart before they come chatting you up in the room (hey, you're already waiting, what's 2 more minutes?) but I seem to be wrong on this subject, since every time I go to ANY doctor they know absolutely nothing about my history and proceed to ask me stupid questions, like, "so, what are you in for?" and I say things like, "I'm pregnant, you fool!" or "a blood clot, you fool!" or "I'm in labor, you fool!!" Even the hemotologist, the SAME hemotologist who treated me every week for 5 months during and after The Clot, only 12 months ago, asked, "so remind me, you did NOT have a blood clot before, correct?" I will remind you upside the head you outrageous non-chart-reader! At least pretend you remember me! "How old is your son? He's big, he must be about 3, right?" Seriously, you saw me 12 months ago with a 2-month - I know kids sprout like weeds, but this is RIDICULOUS. READ MY CHART, there's gotta be more than my name on there!

So I was MAJORLY pleased when I walked into Dr. Hoffman's office and he said, "Great to see you again! So soon, too - your son must be what, 15 months old?" (so close! You remember!! [or you're a Chart Reader, yay!]) and then we reminesced about ALL THE DETAILS of my last labor, including how long it was (and I don't even think that's in their chart!). We had a nice long chat about how things are going, what to expect this time around, what to expect from him as a doctor, etc etc - point being, I felt like a person and not a patient. A person with a history thank you very much! So if you're having a baby anywhere near Fort Collins, go see Dr. Hoffman!! And, happily, they did a quickie ultrasound to make sure everything's going OK with the pregnancy, and it IS. That's our little Bean, head on the right, and there's happy little heartbeat thudding away in there, even if you can't see it in the picture :)

3 comments:

Elsha said...

What are you doing having 3 doctors appointments in a week?

Kirsta 'n co. said...

One was with the hemotolgist to get me started on blood thinners (or baby asprin, whatever), one was to get a mole checked (but they wanted me to re-schedule to remove it, even though it takes 10 minutes and I was already there and they charge $50 just for seeing the doctor - GRRR!) and the third was for Patrick because he seems to have developped eczema and to finish up his 1-year shots, but the doctor (same mole-checker guy) wouldn't until I got his medical records fully transferred! Double-GRRR! I don't want to pay $100 AGAIN ($50 PER PERSON per visit) so you can finish what we started the first time! Hate THAT doctor, for sure!

Kari and Jonathan said...

YAY!! I love your bean. And if you don't like your doctors, change. Silly. I went to go see a general physician, who I thought I would "make mine" in Pueblo, when my gallbladder was hurting (but I didn't know it was my gallbladder) and he told me it was indigestion and sent me on my way. Then when he came to visit me a month later in the hospital, he's like "now, did you mention this to me when you were in." I was like "uhhhhh, that's THE REASON i was in." Needless to say, he's not my physician anymore because I think he could give a crap less about me as a person. So don't be afraid to switch!