Thursday, October 23, 2008

His heart is made of mush

Funny how your new life with a baby totally depends upon sleep, isn't it? Like not appreciating good health until you've got the flu, I guess I didn't appreciate sleeping through the night until we had a baby. Ot at least until I was hugely pregnant and had to get up 3 times a night to use the bathroom, but I figured on the flip side of things, 9 months down the road SURELY we would all be sleeping soundly through the night. Not so, people, not so.

What bedtime looks like


Up until this week I was still getting up 3 times a night with Patrick, which is ridiculous, and I knew it. Joe knew it, too, but he wasn't the one getting up so he didn't much care. So I checked out "What to Expect: The First Year" because I needed some solid ground on which to lay my sleep-through-the-night foundation, and sure enough, they have TONS of ideas on how to make this happen. Of course, all except for co-sleeping require at least a little crying, some will probably bring on LOTS of crying, but any should work, you just have to stick to your guns. So I read them - out loud - to Joe so he could hear this "stick to your guns" requirement, knowing in advance that he wouldn't BECAUSE HIS HEART IS MADE OF MUSH. This isn't a character flaw, I LOVE that his heart is mush for his son - most of the time. But when your goal is to teach your baby to fall asleep on their own, and that crying will not bring one (or both) loving parents in a rush, it most certainly is not helpful. We've done it 2 nights now, and both night Patrick slept through the night - it's a mother's miracle! But getting there was the tough part, and Joe cracked under the pressure. The first night he gave in and rocked the little sucka to sleep after numerous go-in-to-reassure-him breaks (where he picked him up every single time - mush!). The second night, after I had guilted him every single time the first night about picking up Patrick, he agreed to just give reassuring pats but as soon as he came out of that room he was counting the second til he could go back in. 4 minutes into a 10-minute stretch he was begging to go back in. Fortunately, Patrick fell asleep during that 10-minute stretch, Joe didn't have to go in, and I didn't have to remind him (again) to stick to his guns.

So it looks like I've become the bad guy, but at least I can finally get some sleep :)

6 comments:

Schmidt Family said...

Hurray for Patrick. The younger the better really is true. Take us for example. Made Aiden cry it out at 2 now falls asleep by himself but ends up in our bed EVERY SINGLE NIGHT or Hunter who we made cry it out really early( She was screaming anyways!!!) and can't stand to sleep by anyone.

PS-- I am not emotional but I have emotions! duh.

The Miz said...

Well I hate to tell ya but it seems that for the most part mommies are the bad guys. Way to go for sticking to your rifles (it's a form of gun). It is really hard at first, especially with mushy husbands.

Elsha said...

I am mushier than Brian when it comes to the crying. We let her fuss before bed sometimes to wear herself down (she doesn't need to every night, some nights she takes a bottle and goes right to sleep)but when it comes to full on crying-- like PJ in the picture-- it breaks my heart and I have to pick her up. Although, that might be because she rarely cries like that.

Lindsay said...

No no--sleep makes you the GOOD guy when the morning rolls around.
That picture of Patrick is so cute and PITIFUL. I'm glad he made it. (And Joe too.)

Kari and Jonathan said...

If he cried when he is here, you KNOW i'll have to pick him up. It's too sad :(

Kari and Jonathan said...

You should really take that picture of him off because every time I see it I get SOOOO sad :(