Friday, August 29, 2008

Engorged Freezer

While Patrick was a newborn and I was still in school I pumped milk like MAD. He was being watched (thank you, all you babysitters!) 3 hours a day for 3 days a week, and for newborns that means at LEAST one feeding during that time, maybe 2. He ate more from a bottle than he did when he nursed - I know because he would drink 5 ounces of milk from a bottle, but I had to pump twice to get that much. So you can see why I was terrified that I would run out of milk! If he got hungry, I'd be pumping day and night AND nursing! At first he hated taking bottles, but I figured one of those days he would just say "what the heck, might as well, mom's not here!" and grub down all that milk I'd been storing.


School came and school went, I graduated, and still he refused the bottle. We went on a few trips with him so I would pump some milk before we left - in case he got hungry, he could have some fresh milk. But he never did, so the milk kept piling up. Now he is 7 months old and a HUGE fan of solids, drinking out of a sippy cup, and we're working on paring down the number of times he nurses in favor of times that he eats real foods (though no meals have been replaced as of yet). Quite frankly, I'd like to be DONE with this nursing thing by Christmas. He's had his day in the sun, I gave him LOTS of great bonding and straight-from-the-source goodness, and now it's time to eat with the big boys.


So my question is: What do I do with the NINETY-FIVE OUNCES of breastmilk in my freezer?????? That's not even including the 10 oz I defrosted today for our trip down to Pueblo. 8 oz = 1 cup, 16 cups = 1 gallon. I had 13 cups, darn near an entire gallon! I would never pour a gallon of cow's milk down the drain, and I didn't even milk the cow! Perhaps I should count my blessings that he nursed instead of taking a bottle (much easier to cart around THAT milk) and turn the rest insto homemade ice cream for unsuspecting visitors - mwahahaha! ;)

4 comments:

Elsha said...

Dude. Thaw it and let him drink it out of a sippy cup. You can also mix it in rice cereal if he eats that (or something similar.)

OR...thaw it and pour it over cereal and give it to Joe without telling him!! That sounds like more fun.

salem said...

Be a breastmilk donor. I go through www.milkinmamas.com and they take care of everything. You can send the previously collected milk in, too. And you can continue to donate breastmilk even if you choose to wean Patrick. Pretty cool.

Psycho Dad said...

When we were kids playing a game with our friends, and we'd get in a dispute over a rule or the outcome of a play, we'd often settle it by giving in with the mocking insult "ok, let the baby have his bottle." Soooo.... maybe you could send the extra (in bottles) to all my old whiny friends. If you like, I'll supply you with names and addresses.

Erin said...

Kirsta did you do anything with the milk yet? If not...email me ek_mestas@yahoo.com...:)