Sunday, March 29, 2009

Truth or dare?

Truth! It's time to let you all in on a little secret... well, not ALL of you because some (OK, a lot) of you are already in on it... Joe and I are having a baby! Again!

Yes, we are VERY excited, we were hoping to have another quite close in age to Patrick and it seems that this will make that particular wish come true! I am not very far along (8 weeks) so there is still room for "error" (read: miscarriage) but I'm writing about it anyway for a few reasons. 1. I am more than happy to share our exciting news, as there is a lot to think on and look forward to. Likewise, I believe I would have something to say on the subject if the pregnancy did not work out - regrets, wishes, hopes for next time, etc. I pretty much wear my heart on my sleeve so there is little possibility that I wouldn't write on my blog about my experience, either way. I know lots of people don't feel this way and prefer to wait, and I absolutely respect that, but I suppose I am not one of those people. So if my blog get very sad very suddenly, there will be a logical explanation. However.... 2. Miscarriage is the exception to the rule, and I really try not to get carried away with the "what ifs" of life. I do realise I could miscarry during the first trimester, when miscarriages are statistically most likely, but this still does not make miscarriage "likely" in the scheme of things. It also doesn't make it impossible, it certainly doesn't make it "no big deal," but to me it does not mean that I should "plan to fail." Quite the opposite - I feel optimistic and healthy and I am really looking forward to what's up ahead! 3. If you take stock in statistics, I was quite the anomaly last time with a blood clot! VERY unusual to get a clot during pregnancy, but there it was! So if I looked a stats to tell me "what to expect when I'm expecting," THAT wouldn't have come up. So who's to say what will happen this time? I WILL say that this time anti coagulation is what's happening, and I will surely have LOTS to say on that *sore* subject (ouch, needles!) so if I didn't tell you about my pregnancy, you would surely wonder why I was going on and on about being on blood-thinners again.

So I've explained WHY I'm breaking the news, but what about the news itself? Like I said, we're REALLY excited! We are hoping for a boy, simply for Patrick to have a true-blue playmate and wrestling buddy, but we would be be happy with a healthy baby, of course, no matter what gender. Joe is a wonderful daddy who loves playing with his son and teaching him new things, and he was probably more excited than I was when I told him the news! I love being a mom, though I'm the FIRST to admit that it can be REALLY tough and there are plenty of days when I'm not sure I'm up to the job. There are also plenty of days when I know I wouldn't trade it for anything else, and these are the days that keep us going! Before becoming a mother of multiples, though (put the horse before the cart!), I have to go through this little (loooooooong) thing called pregnancy, and for THAT I actually look forward to breaking out the maternity clothes again! I think I got some REALLY cute stuff last time and it's all pretty new, whereas the rest of my wardrobe hails from my early college years, if not high school... pretty over-played (and over-worn)(except for the awesome things Joe gets me at Christmas, but I wear them so often because they're new that they're NOT new anymore). I feel great so far, no morning sickness (though I do have a more limited appetite), and I'm extra tired, but I feel very lucky to get to nap when Patrick naps! I know I won't be so lucky this time around (or next time, or however many more "next times" I get), so I'm definitely taking advantage. Soooooo.... that's our big news! As I said, I'll keep on posting, whatever happens, but we are very excited and hoping for the best! Now, off to be because I'm extra tired :)
Looking forward to this always-stylish Crazy-Tired look again! Still to com: more on heparin, v-bacs, and why I'd like a midwife this time around!

7 comments:

Kari and Jonathan said...

How exciting!! Just let me know when you want your clothes back :)

Elsha said...

So, I already told Kari this (and Brian of course) but I am predicting boy for you and girl for Kari. You heard it here first:)

Andrea said...

Kirsta I'm so excited for you! I clicked on your blog with the thought, "huh, Patrick just turned 1, I wonder if they are thinking about another?" and there you have it! That's great news. Believe it or not 2 is so much better than 1! love you!

Brooke said...

I'm so excited for you guys, that is awesome!!

The Miz said...

Happy day! Congratulations! That's really exciting news and hey, it's your news and you can share it whenever you darn well please to, right? Other than this monumental news, how have you all been?

hibiscusgirl said...

Congratulations!!! I was going to ask how things were going in that department...guess I found out! if you want to get together in the am's let me know. I'm free mon, tues & fridays in april. there's a tot gym on tuesdays at the azatlan center 10:30-noon - it's fun!!! Call me if interested!

hibiscusgirl said...

I entered that comment too soon! I hear you on being a mom thing. Lately I've been like "what have I gotten myself into". 2 stubborn parents make a baby = a very stubborn child. Add what seem like early terrible twos and 4 molars coming in at once at varying levels on top of that and somedays/nights I feel I've reached the end of my rope. Of course I always find more but ... it's tough! A test you can never study for or know the answers to! but we do the best we can right?!!! And appreciate every moment we have - esp those days when we could nap when #1 did! I will miss that!!!! congrats again!