Thursday, February 11, 2010

Crafty car pillow

Knowing we were going to take a trip last weekend, all last week I got busy working on a pillowcase craft I came up with. I'd seen an adorable pillow case dollhouse for girls, but dreamt up this beauty on my own, and I think it came together really nicely! It's not 100% finished, but it was definitely good enough for my toddler who, sick as he was, was REALLY excited as soon as I showed it to him. At home we've taken the pillow out so it can be flat on the floor - better for playing, but the pillow is nice for car trips to give the road some support, and for something to snuggle with if your kiddo gets tired. Feel free to copy or make variations for your own car-trip pillow! The house holds little people I painted onto popsicle sticks.The garage is also a pocket where he can park his cars. Both the house door and garage door open, I plan to paint little scenes inside. The construction zone is soft felt, I plan to make a couple construction things backed with felt, like a felt board! Perfect! For now, it holds a couple plastic construction cones we got with our matchbox dump trucks. The railroad is made from permanent marker and ironed-on fabric using "wonder-under." The tunnel is my favorite part! Machine stitched on one side (for ease), hand-stitched on the other so the tunnel pops "out" instead of the fabric swaying "in." The back of the pillowcase has two of Joe's back pockets sewn on to hold all the cars to play with; buttons were added so the cars don't fall out in transit.

4 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

Sooo cute! What a great idea. You should market it. People would totally buy that if they're not crafty enough to make it themselves. I could put it on my list of things to make, but Espen would probably graduate from college before I got it done. ; )
-Amy

Brooke said...

that is the cutest thing I've seen in a while! You are so clever!! I just might steal the idea from you :)

stylishme said...

Wow, I am super impressed! I have always known you were crafty, but this just proves it ;)
I recently found this blog where the woman makes tons of things from car trash cans (the reason for me finding the blog) to re-purposing clothes for her kids, to house decorating ideas. Anyway, I always think of you when I read it so maybe you might be interested.
http://makeitandloveit.blogspot.com/

Kari and Jonathan said...

You're so creative, but this post isn't the reason I know that! ;) I am definitely not crafty enough to pull anything even close to this off but Amelia is turning 1 in August and I'm sure she would love a dollhouse pillow case! =}