Monday, April 9, 2012

Shirk-out workout

I still LOVE going to the gym, but times have changed - for the weirder.

I used to work out to burn calories (weird, right?) and get toned up (SUCH a strange thing to do at the gym) but now I pretty much go and try to find the easiest things I can do to kill the maximum amount of time.  Cardio kills time, and I love reading magazines while I do cardio, so I brought Fitness last time and chuckled to myself at each article; "be your fittest in 2012!" or "lose 10 pounds by June!" or "tips to get your super-slim bikini body."  Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!! Not for THIS girl in 2012!  But I still go to the gym because
a) I like the gym, it's a nice time for me to think (or not think)
b) My kids like the gym, and I like free time away from kids
c) I want to avoid the tree trunk thighs that have haunted the last trimester of each prior pregnancy.

So I do lots of light reps and super-light cardio, but STILL sometimes it's too much - too much means that later in the day I will suffer from an immediate, overwhelming need to eat a lot.  I get shaky and weak and the only thing I can do is stuff my face - just because I burned a sissy 300 calories on the treadmill!  Come on, gym!  That's not even much at all, and is FAR outweighed by the ensuing odd combination of barbeque chips, cheddar cheese hunks, peanut-butter-on-bread, chocolate chips, and whole milk (whatever it takes to get calories in me quickly)... so then I am re-motivated to get to the gym and start the whole thing again. Needless to say, it's not a normal gym routine!  Let me know if you've got any great time-wasters at the gym (besides chatting with people - I hate gym chatters), I just might have to take up intense stretching sessions so I can keep going.

2 comments:

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

this made me laugh! I was just having a conversation with a friend about how cardio just makes you hungry, so we could feel better about ourselves not doing much of it!

Kari and Jonathan said...

I got those I-need-to-stuff-my-face-RIGHT-NOW hunger episodes when I was pregnant with Amelia. They are the worst. Good for you for going to the gym though, and good luck on avoiding the tree trunks! I never could.