Monday, January 17, 2011

Belly Dancer

Caroline just turned one month old! She's been asleep for 98% of it, so I don't think she even noticed:) Really, I didn't notice, either, until I happened to reference the date for another reason and realized it was the same as her birth. She's been to the doctor twice, both just for general checkups - the first because the hospital told me the doctor would want to see her 2-3 days after delivery for her 2nd newborn screen; the second because the doctor said they don't do the 2nd newborn screen until 2 weeks, so we got to come back. She's gaining weight nicely, if you couldn't tell from the chubby cheeks, and is now about 9 1/2 lbs. I suspected, and the doctor confirmed, that she has a herniated umbilical cord - not painful, just painful to look at! And WEIRD to feel, it's pretty gross to poke it back in because you can feel her abdominal muscles around the hole into her belly. YECH! Fortunately she's dressed most of the time so people want to hold her, not want to give her and her alien belly-button back. It should close up on its own eventually (read: 1-2 years. poor girl!) but until then, no amount of poking it back in will cure it. Saaaaaaad :(
This Sunday we took her to church for the first time! It was actually sooner than I'd planned, but everyone is well at our house and I haven't heard of anything going around (croup, RSV, hand/foot/mouth... you know, anything reminescent of last year) so I thought we'd probably be safe. That is yet to be seen, but what we DID see what the sweetest little girl in the sweetest little dress! She slept in her carseat, covered up, for 2 hours and 45 minutes so I was relieved when she woke up near the end of church so I could actually pull her out and get SOME use out of her dress. I never thought I would admit it, but it IS really fun to dress up a girl! Unnecessary headbands and all.

4 comments:

Kari and Jonathan said...

The picture in her dress TOTALLY makes up for her Yucky belly. :) I'll still hold her all the time though, even if she's not dressed.

Schmidt Family said...

Headbands are never an unnecessary thing. They are a must have for a little girl. ;)

Elsha said...

She is a cutie! Alien belly button and all.

Kathy said...

I think her cheeks have actually gotten bigger since Friday. She is too cute. I love her pretty red dress.