Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ode to a Great Dog

I'll admit that I don't like most dogs, and there are even fewer dogs I would want to share a house with for 11 days, this is about one such diamond in the rough; one who will be dearly missed. Patrick and I (and my parents and my siblings and their kids) were reunited in Texas for a week and a half of wonderful, crazy, messy, baby-filled days. The three little cousins had a great time playing together, but Kalena and Espen nap twice a day, mornings and afternoons, and Patrick naps once at lunch, so you could pretty much count on them missing each other for most of the day. Luckily, Elsha and Brian (with whom we stayed) had two large greyhounds that Patrick was in LOVE WITH; Onyx and Brenna. Every time he saw them, whether it was the first glance from up the stairs in the morning or the last glance as the dogs were running to escape the crazy babies before bedtime, he would point and "woof! woof!" and try to chase them down. After a day or two the dogs got used to so many people and would actually wait around while Patrick patted, hugged, woofed, and gave them kisses on their noses. I couldn't believe how well they tolerated him, and although I thought they were like a new toy that he would eventually get bored with and start to ignore, he never got sick of giving them hugs. Or chasing them. Or kissing their noses.



Unfortunately, as Elsha sadly posted, the garage door was open and the door out to the garage was accidentally left open (she failed to post the name of the responsible party, but I am ashamed to admit it was me), and both dogs escaped. Greyhounds: not the easiest dogs to chase. My mom and I got in the car as quickly as possible and drove all over calling their names, but 10 blocks away in all directions there was still no sight of them. When we returned home Brian assured us they would come home by themselves, which one (Onyx) eventually did. But not Brenna. We heard the terribly sad news this morning that when she escaped she was (most likely) hit by a car and passed away at the animal shelter. My sister and her husband loved both dogs dearly and I, being a long-standing dog-UN-lover, didn't really understand why until our reunion. It was such a wonderful week and it was so much fun watching the babies with both dogs, I actually went out of my way to take pictures of it (something an un-lover would never do) and I enjoyed their company even without Patrick by my side (something an un-lover would never admit to). Though Joe has never met the greyhounds, he loves dogs and is great with them, plus he's had a few himself, so I asked for his advice in words of condolence, and he said "I don't know, I've never killed someone else's dog before." Thanks.


So in my own words, this is for you, Brenna: I've never met such a quiet, well-behaved pet before, and I, who have never missed a dog in my life, am terribly sad that I will miss out on time with you in the future. If Patrick understood, he would be missing you terribly, too. I'm also deeply apologetic to your mom and dad (Elsha and Brian), your sister (Onyx) and your step-sister (Kalena). I know everyone misses you, so try not to run away in Heaven, and we'll see you up there.


Espen, doing some chasing. Onyx and Brenna, trying to avoid being caught by Espen.



Once they warmed up, both dogs actually sought out people to pet them! Nice butt shot.



Patrick, giving Brenna his signature snuggle.

1 comment:

Kari and Jonathan said...

Brenna will be missed :( cute pictures though