Sunday, January 25, 2009

I don't remember the last time a year had so many moments in it

We were given the chance this weekend to reflect upon the past year - not because of the new year, but because of Patrick's birthday! A whole year has gone by - his entire life, 1/25th of ours, and it has been JAM PACKED. Possibly because we did so many fun things and saw so many people, but probably more because every day consists of hundreds of little moments that were never there before. I love to get big hugs from my husband, but a big hug from my son melts my heart like I can't explain. Maybe because mere months ago he didn't really know how to hug, so this is a cool milestone? Maybe because it's crazy that he loves me in spite of the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing? Maybe it doesn't matter why, I just don't need to explain it.

Everything gets stretched out as you grow up. Newborns have 12 days and nights every single day - every time they wake up it's a new day! 24 hours is just too much to handle, so they break it down into chunks they CAN handle and then sleep in between. As they get older kids take fewer and fewer naps because they can handle longer and longer hours; their activities become longer and more involved and those once-long days now seem quite short, those once-long years go by in no time at all. I have been SHOCKED at how time has gone back to standing still at 24 (now 25) years old. To be home and be completely absorbed in Patrick's world, where 24-hours means so much more than one day - it could be the day he went from sitting and staring to reaching and interacting! The day he went from stuck-where-ya-put-me to scooting around on his own! The day when he didn't need my hand to walk him across the room anymore! - THIS has made the days crawl by.... but crawl in a good way. When I think about the hundreds of moments we have had together, I would be in serious trouble if time DIDN'T crawl! It's gone by much too fast as is! The naps break it up nicely, of course, but those moments where my heart melts come right on top of each other; if life were going at its old pace, I would have missed half those moments (probably more if I'm honest with myself). So thanks, Patrick, for packing enough good times into every day to make it seem like three, and happy birthday to YOU!

Newborn
One Month

Two Months

Three Months
Four Months

Five Months

Six Months

Seven Months

Eight Months

Nine Months (nine up, nine down!)

Ten Months

Eleven Months
Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

Elsha said...

Crazy!

Psycho Dad said...

Your writing is poetic. Keep it up.

Kari and Jonathan said...

My favorites were newborn and 3 months!

April said...

What a little man! i can't believe he is so big now! How cute is he??!!

Lindsay said...

Happy birthday Patrick!

salem said...

I love all the pictures for each month, very clever! Give Patrick a high five for us :)