Saturday, January 17, 2009

Happy Early Birthday (to us!)

For Patrick's early birthday present we're going to re-train nighttime! Oh, JOY. I posted about our (very small) battle a month or two ago, complete with sad photos, but after 2 night he slept GREAT! We could leave the room while he was still wide-eyed and he'd fall asleep without crying, then he'd wake up twice a night, tops, but usually only once or (heaven preserve us!) not at all. Then Christmas hit, and hit hard, and we haven't had a decent night of sleep since. I think he's gotten somewhat used to us sleeping with him, but co-sleeping just doesn't work for me, so now that he's alone he wakes up so much more often - and more angry! Still, 6 nights out of 7 I end up in his twin-bed with him since I don't want to bring him to our bed (yes, I feel like there's a difference, and his bed is surprisingly comfortable!) but more than once I WAKE UP in his bed and don't remember getting in there! A sure sign I am delirious with fatigue. Since under-eye bags just aren't all the rage this year and we'd like to get some sleep before he turns 6, we've been working up the guts to try it again. He had a new tooth coming in and we took a trip to Pueblo, so it hasn't been good timing - UNTIL NOW. With one week to work out the kinks all engines are go for beauty rest for the entire family by the time he turns one! Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Kari and Jonathan said...

Maybe he just needs a little rocking, and a night light, and a shirt from mom :) Good luck!

Andrea said...

Oh the first born...so many decisions and guilt as a parent. I do remember! I can't believe Patrick is already in a bed! Way to go, Braxton was 2 1/2 before he slept in a bed and not a crib. My advice is just consistency. They are smart so we have to be smart and when you are consistent, even if it ticks them off, they learn faster and the tears stop sooner. Adelle is in her own room finally after 7 months and all 3 of us are so much happier. Rest is so essential and I am a firm believer that if we are tired from being up all night with kids, then the kids are tired too and tired "people" any age are no fun to be around! Good luck momma!