Monday, January 8, 2018

We're, like, totally popular

The kids bathroom was in a serious state, and the thickness of the paint from the murals wasn't something paint could hide. The framed in door from the bath to the laundry needed to be cobered, and instead of redrywalling the entire bathroom we decided to go for a totally new and totally popular project: SHIPLAP!

Thanks you, queen Joanna, for giving us a way to cover ugly walls in an interesting way.

We used 1/4" pine plywood, and had the good team members of Home Depot rip 3 sheets of it down to 8" lengths. The guys helping me wondered what we were doing, so I described the process and finished look. He shook his head and said, "sounds like something from pinterest." I laughed so hard! But I laughed to myself, I didn't want him thinking I didn't appreciate him doing all the hard work for me. Incidentally, I notice there is a SKU for cuts, they can apparently charge you 50 cents per cut, but in spite of ripping down 5 boards for me, I wasn't charged anything extra. Good thing I held in those laughs, huh?

We primed the walls gray to cover the various colors because the shiplap will be white, and would be difficult to do multiple coats through the narrow gaps. The shiplap boards will be painted tomorrow.
Joe noted the stud placement, got his finish nailer hooked up, and tacked those planks to the wall with 1/8" tile spacers.
Going up!
A view with the tile backer board and new tub Joe also installed today.
All the way to the ceiling!

Across the room we kept the giant mirror up, it will be trimmed out with a frame
The room already had a built-in shelf thing (it used to be Giant Octopus Red), so we painted it and kept it, I think it will be a cute and functional niche 
Tub, backer board, and shiplap - that was quite a day! And all installed by Joe, who is quite a guy.







No comments: