Friday, June 5, 2015

done-zo!

I am so incredibly pleased at how the craft space turned out! It may not look like much to you but that's because I didn't take any true "before" pictures of the avalanche of crap... I mean CRAFT... that I had a managed to pile into one corner. One corner was taking over the basement in a mish-mashed kind of way. The new space is exactly what I needed. What I needed, so you know, is a functional space with MILES of counter space to spread out my projects. Got it! What I needed was a PRETTY space so I would be more keen on putting things away where they belong to keep it pretty. Got it! What I needed was a controlled space so my overflowing baskets of things would be purposefully reduced to the items I love, need, and use frequently (ok, I still fudge on that a bit but it is lots more controlled than it was!). 

The cabinets, refinished by Yours Truly, was a big confidence-builder for me since it included me using a miter saw without adult supervision. When it comes to power tools, I am NOT an adult! So I wallpapered the front and back, mitered all the rails and stiles myself, liquid-nailed them on using clamps (again, no adult supervision!), caulked the edges inside and out to smooth everything together, and painted white enamel paint over the whole thing for a nice durable finish. Basically I wanted to climb to the top of a mountain (or drive, I am lazy) and shout "I am amazing!" The countertop, installed by Joe Truly, is also the countertop style we installed in out master bathroom. I love the coloring of it, and the price was great. Now I have a really wonderful place to craft and, when I'm not crafting, it is a lovely space in our basement.

No comments: